This function allows you to access files on your Android device from a Web browser on a PC connected to same local network as your Android device (typically over WiFi).
The goal is to completely manage files on your device comfortably from inside a web browser.
This is closely related to WiFi file sharing function in X-plore. To start accessing your device on Web browser, you need to enable WiFi sharing on your Android device.
Starting Web browsing
To connect to X-plore sharing server from a web browser, type server’s IP address, as shown in X-plore (this should look similar to this: http://192.168.1.36:1111).
The web browser must be connected to same LAN as X-plore is connected by WiFi.
This function uses application code in your web browser, and requires HTML 5 compatible web browser to work properly. It was tested in Mozilla Firefox, MS Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari web browsers, but should work in any other compatible web browser. It is recommended to use latest version of your favorite web browser.
If you configure Read-only access in WiFi file sharing, all functions that could modify files on the device will be disabled.
Screen is divided into multiple parts.
Top title bar
Shows application title, device name, and menu.
Provides few functions:
- Reload page – reloads entire page (same as pressing F5)
- Help – shows this page
- Exit – closes the web access, disconnects WiFi sharing on device, and moves to Bookmark page
Folder tree at left
This shows expandable folder hierarchy. This is the main navigation part, similar to files view as in X-plore on device, however only folders are shown here.
- Click on folder in center to make it active, expand it and present its files in files area
- Click on expand mark to just expand or collapse its folders without changing active folder
- Click right part of sub-folders of active folder to mark/unmark the folder (the folder is marked also in files view)
Files view at right
This view shows files and folders of currently selected active folder. Here you can click on file to open it (which wither opens built-in viewer, or browser-default action). You can also click marker on file to make multi-selection (you can also hold Ctrl key and click on file to mark/unmark it).
Provides buttons with various functions on files, either on marked ones or on active folder:
- New folder
- Upload (you pick files on your computer to upload to active folder)
- Download as zip (either marked files, or all files in active folder)
Additionally there are buttons for:
- Show or hide hidden files (hidden files are either those whose names start with dot (.) or folders which you define as hidden)
- Mark or unmark all files
- Refresh current folder
Context menu on right click
This menu contains similar functions that are present on Files toolbar, but these are applied to folder or file on which you make right mouse click.
You can download files in several ways:
- Directly click on file can may web browser to offer to save the file. However depending on type of file, this may also lead to other action, such as viewing image, playing sound, viewing PDF, etc.
- Mark some files or right-click on file, and choose Save as zip. Then all selected files are saved as single Zip file.
- Right-click on file and choose Download. This forces web browser to download/save the file, regardless of its type.
You can upload files in two ways:
- Click on Upload button in Files toolbar, choose one or more files from computer, and confirm
- Drag and drop files from computer into any folder either into Folder tree or into Files list
Uploading of folders is possible on some browsers (Chrome, Firefox) using drag&drop function.
Files are uploaded in background, while they are uploaded, you can do other things in the browser. For the purpose of uploading, there is Upload manager displayed at bottom right part. Files are uploaded in the order in which they were added for uploading.
You can view progress of uploading of current file. When moving mouse over Upload manager, it expands, and you can see all other files in queue.
You can choose to cancel upload of any file, or cancel uploading of all files.
Files may be moved to different folders on device by Drag and drop. Click and hold mouse on single file or folder, or on multiple marked files, and drag these over another folder, either in Folder tree or in Files list. If folder is not expanded in Tree list, hold mouse a bit over it and it will be expanded. After releasing mouse, files will be moved to target folder.
Depending on Root access configuration on device, root folder ”/” from device may be either not listed, or shown in “Normal” mode compatible with all devices (protected folders won’t open), or it may show full rooted access if device is rooted.
In Superuser root access mode, the operation to list files may ask confirmation on device from Superuser app. You may want to enable permanent superuser access for X-plore to avoid this confirmation.
- Del – delete file
- F2 – rename file
- Ctrl+A – mark all files in active folder
- Esc – unmark all files
- Backspace – directory up
- Cursor keys – navigate in Tree list
- F – create new folder
- H – show/hide hidden files
- U – refresh active folder
Image and video viewer
X-plore in web is designed to comfortably view media files (images and videos) stored on the device, which is targeted mainly to viewing captured photos and videos (videos are shown only if web browser is capable to play video files).
To start media viewer, click on any image or video file. Media viewer starts, allowing to view all other media files in same folder.
Functions in media viewer
Media viewer directly provides some functions that are available also in main view:
- Delete media file
- Rename media file
- Download media file
Also there are specialized functions:
- Show previous or next media file
- Start Slide show
- Configure options related to Media viewer
- Switch to fullscreen mode
Keyboard shortcuts in Media viewer
- Esc or Backspace – close media viewer
- Enter – fullscreen mode on/off
- Left / Right – navigate to neighbor media file
- Left / Right while playing video – seek in video
- Up / Down – change volume in video file
- Del – delete file
- F2 – rename file
- Space – start/stop Slideshow, or start/stop video playback
X-plore in web can play audio files in mp3 format. To start audio player, click on any mp3 file, and it will get played in a dialog. Actually all mp3 files in same folder will be added to playlist, and you can navigate in the player to play all the tracks.
Playing in background
You can let music play in background. Click button on top right of the dialog, and it will be minimized into a button located on main toolbar. By this button you can show audio dialog again. When playing in background, all tracks will be played one after another, possibly repeated and/or shuffled.
Controls for starting/stopping playback and for seeking and volume control are provided directly by HTML5-compatible web browser, thus they may vary in functionality and look from browser to browser.
- Repeat – allows to repeat playback of all tracks
- Shuffle – play tracks in random order
Keyboard shortcuts in Audio player
- Esc or Backspace – close the player (stops playback)
- Home – play in background
- Left / Right – navigate to neighbor track
- Up / Down – change volume
- Space – start/stop playback
Text viewer and editor
Text files are opened in internally on web page, in a text viewer. A simple text viewer loads text file and shows it.
Editing text file
Once a file is opened in text viewer, you can switch to edit mode (by button or keyboard shortcut). After making some changes in text, you can save the changes back to device, or close the editor without saving.
Keyboard shortcuts in Text viewer/editor
- Esc – close the viewer/editor
- Ctrl+E – start edit file
- Ctrl+S – save changes